The Annual Juried Show historically presents several thousands of dollars in awards to artists. These awards are made possible by the generosity of Anderson Arts Center supporters who want to reward artists for their talent. We are so thankful for our community donors who value the arts.
Best in Show
Aldo Muzzarelli Extemporaneous Menina Picking Up Prejudices (La otrs senorita)
Second Place – In Memory of Russell Warren
Glen Miller Appalachian Birdsong; Red Wing
Steve Garner The New Deal In Deerland
Callie Stringer Rainey Award
Ginny Gillen Garden Watcher
Ruth Hopkins Watercolor Award
Michael England Millions Have Seen
Photography Merit Awards
CT Weiss Girl On The Stairs
Fine Craft Merit Awards
Sydney Grambell Placing Shadows
Watercolor Merit Award
Al Junek Nocturne Twilight
All merit awards are bestowed by the juror in recognition of excellence in the visual arts.These monetary awards go directly to the artist showing that our community considers their work valuable and worthy of recognition. Donors do not receive anything in return.
2023 Merit Award Winners:
Steve Jordan Portrait of My Father
Troy Ayers Tatanka
Ray Richards Dead Boat
Danielle Fontaine if only we’re brave enough to be it – Amanda’s words 1.20.21
Alan Kenneth Smith Old Victorian
Caroline Calder Happy Days
Chet Lawson Ebb Tide
Donovan Collins Charlene
Erik Shutzman RBG
George Crown Barbara
George W. LeMieux Jr Vigilance
Hamed Mahmoodi Glass Veil
Jan Sparks Be My Guest
Kate Sally Palmer Terraces on the Douro River
Kathy Moore At a Crossroad
Kathy Smith Memory of Dogwood
KC Christmas Standing Together
Patsy Johnson Cheesepuff Hotdog with Sweet Tea
Lu Bentley Swamp Phlox
Mary Lekoshere Float
Melissa Pinney Respite on the River
Michael Fowler Loblolly Stance
Shea Abramo Gypsy
Steve Garner Bullseye Tree
Erin Hughes Coming Home
Joy Kuby Go Joyfully Into This Big Bold World
• Purchase awards are given to artists whose artwork is chosen to be purchased by the donor of the award.
• Regardless of the price of your work, you may select to offer your piece for a purchase award of $500 or $1000.
• The full amount of the award will be given to the artist.
• There is no commission given to the Arts Center for a Purchase award sale. You must mark the appropriate box on the entry card to be considered for a purchase award.
2023 Purchase Award Winners:
Beti Strobeck Women of Faith
Cindy Robinson Can’t Always Get What You Want
Diann Simms City Glass
John Urban Appalachian Solitude
John Urban Serenity
John Urban Morris Island Buffleheads
Lisa Shimko Summer Blue Jay
Martha Driscoll Picking Apples
Polly Richardson Green Pond
Rachel Watson Freeman
Stan O’Bannon Seldom Seen
Teresa Anderson The Shepard’s Trail
All entries are available for sale through the gallery unless otherwise noted.
• If a work is not for sale, NFS (Not For Sale) must be noted on your entry card.
• A 35% commission will be charged by the Anderson Arts Center.
• No PORs (Price on Request) will be accepted.
• All work for sale must have the price listed and will be sold as exhibited.
$1,000 cash prize for up to six sculptures
• Minimum 18 years old
• Only original works not previously shown at the AAC
• Must have been created within the past two years
• Any media welcome – including painting, pastel, drawing, sculpture, pottery, basketry, graphic, wood, mixed media, photography, metalwork, and jewelry, etc.
• All work to be hung must be appropriately and securely wired for hanging.
• No clip mounting and no sawtooth hangers
• If subject to damage, must be under plexiglass or glass (gallery-wrapped canvas acceptable)
• All 3-D work must sit solidly on a flat surface or properly mounted for hanging
• No size restrictions, but MUST be transportable and able to be hung in a conventionally sized gallery
The Anderson Arts Center assumes responsibility for insuring and caring for the works of art selected for exhibition while they are in our possession. However, the Anderson Arts Center will not assume costs of shipping artwork or insurance while in transit to or from the Anderson Arts Center. The Anderson Arts Center reserves the right to refuse any entry and to withdraw any work from the exhibition at its discretion. The Anderson Arts Center reserves the right to photograph and reproduce any entry submitted for educational or publicity purposes.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
March 9-11, 10:00am – 4pm
Preview Perusal Party
Open to Award Donors & Arts Center members
March 11, 4:30pm – 7:30pm
Juried Results Posted Online
No results will be given over the phone. Results will NOT be mailed.
March 31- May 18
Opening Reception & Awards Ceremony
March 31, 6:30pm -8:30pm
Awards at 7:00pm
Art on the Town Viewing
April 28 – May 12
Not-Accepted Entries Pickup
March 31 & April 3-4, 10:00am – 8:00pm
Accepted Entries Pickup
May 19 & 22, 10:00am – 6:00pm
Our Juror: JOHN HARKINS
John Harkins is a visual artist whose work explores the incongruity between Catholicism and Queerness. Through collage and mixed media processes, he juxtaposes images and iconography of each. The resulting 2D and 3D works comment on his experience trying to reconcile these identities with each other.
John is a Professor of Foundation Studies at Savannah College of Art and Design. He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Michigan, and a Master of Fine Arts from Wayne State University. In addition to his experience at SCAD, John has worked as a studio instructor as well as the creative administrator for an advertising agency. When he is not teaching or working in his studio, he enjoys volunteering, and making guitar-based experimental music.
SCULPTOUR: Partnership for Public Art
Outdoor sculpture artists are also invited to participate in the Juried Show through our SculpTOUR partnership with the City of Anderson.
This competition and exhibition allows for up to six outdoor sculptures to be juried into a year-long outdoor exhibition with cash prizes of $1,000 each. A special sculpture selection committee will juror this artwork. Pieces will be installed before April 28 and must remain for one year. Artists chosen must be available during the installation and takedown processes. Installation costs and insurance is the responsibility of the Anderson Arts Center.
Art on the Town
Art on the Town is an extended exhibit of the Juried Show. Works are eligible for Art on the Town if indicated on the entry form. Artwork will be on view in various restaurants, retail shops, and other business locations from April 28 – May 12. You must check the Art on the Town box on the entry card to be eligible.